Cover letter examples by industry
A good cover letter highlights the specific skills employers are looking for. Check out these cover letter examples for a variety of industries.
A great cover letter will show that you're the right candidate.
If you're wondering how to write a cover letter, you're in the right place! It doesn't matter what level you're at in your career—to get noticed by potential employers, your professional cover letter needs to knock their socks off. Your cover letter is much more than friendly greeting; it's a tool that lets hiring managers know that you're the candidate they've been hoping for.
Recruiters and hiring managers have seen every type of cover letter format imaginable. For maximum wow-factor, you must build a cover letter that highlights your industry-specific experience, accomplishments, and credentials.
Steps to write a cover letter
- Start with the proper greeting: Address your cover letter to the person who will be reading it.
- Introduce yourself with an opening: Write a personable, inviting opening paragraph that highlights how your skills are a perfect fit to the company and position.
- Get them interested with a compelling hook: Highlight your past achievements as they relate to the job you're applying for.
- Promote your skills: Highlight your additional relevant skills, such as computer languages or certifications.
- Thank them in the close: Briefly recap your strengths as a candidate, thank the reader for their time, and include your contact information.
If you need cover letter help, check out these cover letter templates for various careers and career levels in the following industries:
Administrative/Support Cover Letter Examples
Art/Design/Media Cover Letter Examples
Business Cover Letter Examples
Education Cover Letter Examples
Engineering Cover Letter Examples
Finance/Accounting Cover Letter Examples
Health Care Cover Letter Examples
Human Resources Cover Letter Examples
Job Search Cover Letter Examples
Law Enforcement and Legal Cover Letter Examples
Marketing and PR Cover Letter Examples
Military Cover Letter Examples
Nurse Cover Letter Examples
Restaurant and Hospitality Cover Letter Examples
Retail Cover Letter Examples
Sales Cover Letter Examples
Science Cover Letter Examples
Student Cover Letter Examples
Technology Cover Letter Examples
Trades Cover Letter Examples
Transportation and Warehousing Cover Letter Examples
Help hiring managers find your cover letter
When your cover letter is in good shape, don't let it just sit on your computer. You need to get it out there! Could you use a little help getting your cover letter in front of hiring managers? Join Monster today. As a member, you can upload up to five versions of your resume and cover letter—each customized to the kinds of jobs you're interested in. Recruiters search Monster every day looking to fill top jobs with qualified candidates, just like you. Make it easier for them to find you, and for you to find a job.
IT cover letter
Is your job search experiencing some downtime? Reboot it! View this sample cover letter for IT, or download the IT cover letter template in Word.
As an IT specialist, you’re in high demand, so make sure you put your best foot forward in the job search process. Your cover letter should demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for your work. To be considered for top IT jobs, it helps to have a well-crafted cover letter. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for IT, or download the IT cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about technology careers and search for IT jobs on Monster.
IT cover letter template
Sometown, DE 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
July 27, 2017
Mr. Thomas Jones
15 Elm Street
Sometown, DE 55555
Re: IT Helpdesk Technician, Advertised on Monster
Dear Mr. Jones:
I am interested in joining your tier 1 helpdesk team. A longtime fan of ABC Corp’s commitment to customer service, I bring to the table a strong customer service mindset combined with technical skills honed throughout my 15 years of helpdesk experience.
Key strengths include:
- High-volume ticket management. In my current position as helpdesk support specialist for XYZ Co, I handle 1,725+ tickets per month, fully resolving and documenting issues for future reference.
- A track record of consistently meeting or exceeding performance targets correlated with call handling and customer satisfaction goals.
- Technical knowledge:
- Windows (all versions); Windows Server 2003, 2008 R2 and 2012; macOS; Unix
- Microsoft Active Directory Services
- LAN, WAN and WiFi network technology (DNS, DHCP, NTP, SNMP and Nagios)
- MS Office 365/Exchange
- Recognition for exceptional service delivery through “ACE Team Member” awards.
Mr. Jones, if you are seeking an experienced, tech-savvy and customer service-oriented helpdesk technician with the proven ability to establish excellent relationships with customers, employees, vendors and manufacturers, we should speak.
I look forward to learning more about this position and can be reached at (555) 555-5555 or email@example.com. Thank you for your time.
See all sample cover letters on Monster.